Begrudgingly, I will admit that, while not my first choice, The Secret Life of Pets was actually pretty good. At one hour and 46 minutes, it hits that sweet spot of not being so short that I felt cheated, and not so long that I lost interest or had to test my bladder's elasticity. And, it's 1:46 was good enough to keep the gaggles of children engaged the whole time. Well-played, Illumination Entertainment. Well-played indeed.
Pets gets an A. Even without Zac Efron's abs, it gets an A.
And now, my random thoughts during the movie...
- Minions animated short?!? Yes, please! I love Minions!
- That was so good! Bet the movie doesn't live up to the Minions.
- I recognize that dog's voice, but just can't place it. *
- I recognize that dog's owner's voice, but just can't place it. **
- I recognize that dog's voice, but just can't place it. Although it sounds remarkably like the sheep from Zootopia. ***
- I recognize that cat's voice, but just can't place it. ****
- I love this dog Gidget. She's feisty.
- And Gidget watches telenovelas. We're soul sisters!
- That's Jaime Camil's voice in the animated telenovela!
- Of course I can't recognize the (most-likely) American voices, but immediately pick out the guy from Univision.
- Kevin Hart! That bunny is definitely Kevin Hart.
- RIP, Ricky!
- I concede that this movie isn't sucking.
- NO SLEEP TIL BROOKLYN IN THE SOUNDTRACK?!? AWESOME!
- I recognize that bird's voice, but just can't place it.*****
- I recognize that dog's voice, but just can't place it. ******
- I love this Pops dog. No quit in him.
- Okay, I'll admit this movie is actually pretty good.
- Action, action, save the day, yada yada.
- I loved this movie. There, I said it. It's an A.
- Dang, slow those credits down! Some people actually watch/read them!
- I still wanna see Mike & Dave.
*** Jenny Slate
**** Steve Coogan